Hi there, I'm Riley!
Currently, I'm a Google News Lab Fellow for data journalism at ProPublica, an investigative nonprofit newsroom for the public interest. I graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 2017 in computer science.
- conducted machine learning and data science research for healthcare at the Clinical Research Informatics Core of Penn Medicine.
- built a data preprocessing pipeline for natural language processing and machine learning at Textio from scratch, currently used in production on hundreds of millions of text documents.
- co-directed Hack4Impact, a 501c3 nonprofit that builds open-source software in partnership with social good organizations.
- developed open-source software for social good, was Tech Lead for projects with the ACLU and the Berkman Klein Center at Harvard.
- developed and shipped full-stack web features as a hackNY fellow at edtech startup Skillshare.
Beyond that, I:
- founded and manage an online community for queer and/or trans people of color in tech -- please contact me if you would like to be added! :-)
- spearheaded and facilitated the first state town hall in Pennsylvania to uplift the voices of the queer and Asian community, backed by the Governor’s Commission on Asian American Affairs.
I'm passionate about machine learning, social impact, mental health advocacy, music and art. My pronouns are they/them.